Vibrating Wire Arc Weldable Strain Gauge
The Vibrating Wire Arc Weldable Strain Gauge measures strain in steel members. It consists of a coil assembly, Vibrating Wire element and two weldable anchors
The Strain Gauge incorporates O-ring seals to provide waterprooﬁng, and allows the tube to remain unstressed. A factory ﬁtted, four-core screened cable connects the coil to the readout unit.
- Suitable for manual or remote reading
- Range is adjustable to suit compression or tension
- Contains an integral thermistor
- O-ring seals provide waterprooﬁng
- Over 30 years of expertise in the design and manufacture of Vibrating Wire instrument technology
- Accurate, repeatable readings over long cable lengths
- Long working life, long term stability and reliability
- Robust and reliable
- Gauge and coils are re-useable
The sensor is installed by removing the two mounting blocks and placing them (using a setting bar as a template) onto the steel to be monitored and then arc welding them in place.
Once the welds have cooled, the gauge is fitted into the blocks and tensioned as necessary. The pickup coil is then slid into place and secured with cable ties.
Once installed, changes in strain are monitored by the coil assembly mounted on the gauge. The gauges can be read individually or remotely/automatically as part of a data collection system.
The Vibrating Wire Arc Weldable Strain Gauge measures strain in steel and cast iron members on buildings, bridges, dams and pipelines, as well as on reinforcing bars within mass concrete or piles. It can measure both tension and compression.
Typical applications include:
- Steel members and struts
- Monitoring of strain due to load
- Bridges and dams
- Monitoring strain and load during construction and service life
- Piles and mass concrete
- Monitoring strain in reinforcing bars during construction, pile testing and service life.