Vibrating Wire Settlement Cell
The Vibrating Wire Settlement Cell measures settlement and heave in soil and rockfill. Using measurement data from the settlement cell can help to control further displacement.
The cell consists of a Vibrating Wire pressure transducer connected via a pair of water-filled nylon tubes to a hydraulic datum pot located on stable ground.
Vertical movement of the cell relative to its readout location results in a change in liquid pressure within the chamber, which is recorded in metres of water and is translated into the amount of settlement or heave.
The Vibrating Wire Settlement Cell can take measurements beneath concrete and earth structures at locations that are inaccessible to other types of instruments.
- Uses proven Vibrating Wire technology
- 15m and 30m ranges available
- Borehole, trench and low profile types available
- No vertical rods or tubes to interfere with construction
- Twin liquid lines allow for recirculation of water through the system after installation
- Does not require access above sensor to acquire data
- Over 30 years of expertise in the design and manufacture of Vibrating Wire instrument technology
- Accurate, repeatable readings over long cable lengths
- Long working life, longterm stability and reliability
- Over-voltage surge arrestor protects against electrical damage
- Connecting cable is strong, armoured and flexible
- Measurements unaffected by lateral movements
The cell is installed in a borehole or trench. Vertical displacement of the cell relative to the datum location results in a liquid pressure change at the transducer.
To measure the pressure change and hence the amount of displacement, a Vibrating Wire readout or data logger provides a direct reading of fluid pressure acting on the cell. The pressure is displayed in meters of water and can be recorded for comparison with previously recorded data.
- The measurement of settlement in embankments, earth and rock fill dams
- The measurement of settlement and heave of oil tanks and building foundations
- Monitoring of bridge piers, abutments and retaining walls
- Control of subsidence
S8 - Vibrating Wire Settlement Cell Datasheet
This downloadable PDF is the new itmsoil datasheet.