Vibrating Wire Crackmeter
The Vibrating Wire Crackmeter provides accurate measurement of crack propagation for structural or geotechnical monitoring.
The sensor is made from high quality stainless steel, incorporates O-rings to allow for underwater use and is designed for longterm reliable monitoring. The sensor incorporates an over-voltage surge arrestor that protects against electrical damage. Fitted across a crack or joint, it monitors displacement by detecting a change in tension in the vibrating wire inside the sensor.
- Uses proven Vibrating Wire technology
- Suitable for longterm monitoring
- Suitable for manual or remote monitoring
- Fully waterproof
- Fitted with thermistor for temperature monitoring
- Over 30 years of expertise in the design and manufacture of Vibrating Wire instrument technology
- Accurate, repeatable readings over long cable lengths
- Long working life, long term stability and reliability
- Over-voltage surge arrestor protects against electrical damage
- Connecting cable is strong, screened and flexible
The Vibrating Wire Crackmeter consists of a telescoping sensor body incorporating a sprung tensioned Vibrating Wire element.Each end of the telescoping body is anchored either side of the crack to be monitored.
A change in distance between the anchors, by the crack opening or closing, will cause the connecting rod to move within the transducer body, changing the tension on the spring and thus altering the resonant frequency of the wire.
The Vibrating Wire Crackmeter measures displacements across cracks and joints in buildings, bridges, dams, pipelines and similar structures. It can measure both the opening and closing of cracks or joints.
Typical monitoring applications include:
- Brick and stone buildings
- Bridges and dams
- Construction joints
- Joints and bearing/support interaction
- Tunnels and lining cracks
- Structures susceptible to earthquake and landslide areas